looking for membership management software -- Open Source, written in Python

Rick Kwan kenobi at gmail.com
Wed May 28 15:32:36 EDT 2008

On May 27, 6:13 am, Laura Creighton <l... at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Mon, 26 May 2008 12:38:28 PDT, miller.pau... at gmail.com writes:
>
> >I forgot to ask: what's your target platform?  I mentioned Organizer's
> >Database, but it only runs on Windows.  If you need a Linux or OS X
> >solution, then I can make another suggestion. :-)
>
> Ah, FreeBSD would be the best -- as in making our sysadmins very, very
> happy but linux would also be very acceptable, and probably OS X as well.
> But PHP is probably not.
>
> Thanks again,
> Laura

I've been up against similar issues.  I handle records for a 1,300-
member chapter of a 30,000-member organization.  So my original data
comes from the national organization as an Excel spreadsheet --
actually an pseudo-XML copy of the spreadsheet.

The first step I do is convert it into a file of tab-separated values
(TSVs, not CSVs) through use of the HTMLParser module.  From there,
I've built a series of Python scripts to generate e-mail lists,
mailing labels (with the help of C program), identify senior members
and fellows, etc.

None of it is web-accessible yet.  For me, I'd want to give certain
officers or committee chairs the ability to grab subsets of data on
their own, or allow them to send mail to their specific subset of the
membership.