Problem with help() in python/ipython interpreters

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 12 05:24:50 EDT 2008

En Fri, 09 May 2008 20:45:09 -0300, Casey <Caseyweb at gmail.com> escribió:

> I'm running python 2.5.2 on WinXP.  I've always used a GUI for
> interactive development, but I wanted to try out ipython which better
> supports matplotlib in this mode.  Unfortunately, whenever I try to
> use help() I get the following error:
>
> (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
>  "C:\documents"
>
> It turns out that the regular (python.exe) interpreter has the same
> problem.  I have the HTML docs installed, my PYTHONDOCS environment
> variable points to the HTML directory, and I actually uninstalled and
> reinstalled every library I use from scratch to make sure it wasn't
> some random config issue.

I don't know exactly how does help() try to find the documentation, but I have these differences:

- I don't have a PYTHONDOCS variable (nor PYTHONPATH nor anything similar)
- The Windows registry contains this entry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\Help\Main Python Documentation]
@="C:\\Apps\\Python25\\Doc\\Python25.chm"
- I *think* that I installed the HTML docs on that same directory a long time ago...

Hope this info could help you.

--
Gabriel Genellina