php vs python

Michael Fesser netizen at gmx.de
Fri May 23 08:07:12 EDT 2008

.oO(Andrew Lee)

>Personally, I believe PHP would get you more productive more quickly for
>a blog, but it is a potentially brain damaging language in terms of
>really getting your juices flowing with programming.  It is not a
>general purpose language

Please elaborate.

>and suffers from all the limitations of of a
>tool designed for one job.

Please elaborate.

And what "one" job are you talking about? There are many things possible
with PHP: web apps, shell scripts, daemons, GUI apps ...

>If you are interested in programming and the
>blog is your path to that, stick with Python!

<flame>Where whitespace is more important than the code.</flame>

Seriously, it's just a question of personal taste and preferences. In
terms of capabilities there's absolutely no difference between PHP and
Python. You need a good understanding of programming in general for
both, the rest is just syntax and the available standard libraries.

>In particular, immerse
>yourself in mod_python or look at a framework like Django or Pylons --
>the learning curve is steep for any of these technologies but they are a
>full meal compared to saltine cracker and water of PHP.

If you don't like PHP, that's perfectly OK. But you should accept that
it's only a tool and just as good as the one who uses it. For me and
many others it's a quite good language, we're able to write clean and
efficient code with it in a rather short time.

PHP is much more than just crackers and water. Of course you should know
how to cook.

Micha