create window on panel

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Thu May 15 05:54:29 EDT 2008

Jimmy wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I have been trying to use wxPython to design a GUI that will be
> displayed on the panel on the top of desktop. that is when the
> program starts, it will dwell on the panel to display some dynamic
> information.
>
> can anyone tell me in wxPython how to do this? thanks!

AFAIK it cannot be done in pure wxPython. The reason is that your
"panel" is part of the window manager. What kind of "panel" are you
talking about anyway? Under Microsoft Windows it is called "the tray".
In Gnome it is "panel" indeed. In KDE it might also be panel, there is
OS X etc. They are quite different. For example, under MS Windows you
cannot embed an application into the tray (other than an icon).

They are all different window managers, based on different client libs
(MS gui, GTK, Qt etc.). wxPython is designed to be platform independent,
and  it does not support special, platform dependent features. (Well it
does a few...)

You need to tell us what kind of system are you using? Then we can tell
you where to start. For example, there are extension modules for writing
Gnome panel applications. (Well, it is not wxPython but GTK.)

BTW the idea is good: we could have "panel" support in wxPython, but
since the interface of these panels (and how they should be programmed)
is very different on different platforms, it would not be easy to implement.

   Laszlo