Using Python for programming algorithms

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon May 19 12:24:24 EDT 2008

Vicent Giner wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am new to Python. It seems a very interesting language to me. Its
> simplicity is very attractive.
>
> However, it is usually said that Python is not a compiled but
> interpreted programming language —I mean, it is not like C, in that
> sense.

I programmed several large optimization problems in python. Mostly I used the
old numeric extension for the optimization parts eg vector calculations matrix
inversions etc etc, but I think numpy is used now. Since most of the work was
performed in the C extension we didn't really notice the 'slowness' of python's
interpreter.
--
Robin Becker