[off-topic] Usenet

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue May 13 19:40:10 EDT 2008

hdante <hdante at gmail.com> writes:

>  How can I access Usenet without using Google Groups ? (my ISP doesn't
> have a NNTP server).

Complain to your ISP; let them know they have a paying customer who
isn't getting an essential internet service. (No, this likely won't
change *your* situation, and yes, most ISPs are this neglectful.)

Then, <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Free_Usenet_servers> or
a similar resource.

> Do you recommend doing so ?

Yes, definitely. Google Groups treats Usenet messages poorly.

>  What's your prefered news reader ?

Gnus <URL:http://gnus.org/>, a program running in Emacs. Thunderbird
<URL:http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/>, slrn
<URL:http://www.slrn.org/>, and tin <URL:http://www.tin.org/> have
also given me good Usenet experiences in the past.

--
 \       "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear — not absence |
  `\                     of fear.  -- Mark Twain, _Pudd'n'head Wilson_ |