Why does python not have a mechanism for data hiding?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 27 02:04:48 EDT 2008

"Russ P." <Russ.Paielli at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:03655ec7-2136-4cea-9575-34e321356439 at p25g2000pri.googlegroups.com...
| Hmmm... that seems a bit strange. Why should "_variable" be visible
| when you use "import module"

Because you only add one name to the current namespace -- bound to a
module --  and there is no reason to exclude attributes of that object.

|but not when you use "from module import *"?

Because you are already adding m names and adding n more names may cause
problems -- which is what lead to the addition of the __all__ mechanism
some years back.  Sorry, I forget the details because they don't concern
me.