Sanitised Newsgroup Feeds?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu May 15 06:02:43 EDT 2008

Paddy <paddy3118 at googlemail.com> writes:

> Does anyone do a sanitised newsgroup feed? Something like what mail
> filters do for email?

The feature you're looking for is called a "kill list" or "kill file":
add patterns to the kill file, and matching messages will be omitted
from your view of the newsgroup.

Whether your NNTP client supports such a feature is for you to
determine. (I'm pretty sure Google Groups, among its litany of
failings as an NNTP client, is lacking in this aspect too. So, don't
use Google Groups.)

> It is getting tedious wading through the ads for 'cracks' & watches;
> as well as the Xah cross-posted self-promotions, the wx-'its easier to
> post than read the tutorial' annoyances and the castiro (human/Eliza?)
> weirdnesses.

Yes, those authors are among the patterns in my GNUS kill file.

> I guess that many would want to add the same things to their kill
> file, but it takes me three clicks to add anyone/any thread to it
> and the c.l.p signal-to-noise is getting lower.

Huh? How often do you have to add patterns to the file? I do it once
every couple of weeks, if that.

--
 \     "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" "I think so, Brain, but |
  `\    pants with horizontal stripes make me look chubby."  -- _Pinky |