Reading Java byte[] data stream over standard input

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Mon May 19 05:07:46 EDT 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 00:14:25 -0700, sapsi wrote:

> Yes, that could be the case. Browsing through hadoop's source, i see
> stdin in the above code is reading from piped Java DataOutputStream.
> I read of a libray on the net Javadata.py that reads this but it has
> disappeared.
> What is involved in reading from a Dataoutputstream?

According to the Java docs of `DataInput` and `DataOutput` it is quite
simple.  Most methods just seem to write the necessary bytes for the
primitive types except `writeUTF()` which prefixes the string data with
length information.

So if it is not Strings you are writing then "hadoop" seems to throw in
some information into the stream.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch