Web Framework suggestions for a RIA type application for managing lab specimens

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com`
Fri May 9 14:37:44 EDT 2008

rynt wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm Looking for suggestions for which Python web framework(e.g.
> Django, Turbogears,etc.) would work best to develop a cross platform
> browser based system to manage lab specimens.
>
> Requirements are:
> a. highly secure
> b. run on internet or intranet
> e. RDBMS read/write intensive
> d. be able to work on-line or off-line (with automatic updates to db
> when coming back on-line)
> e. be able to print reports and labels using a variety of
> printers(laser, deskjet, label printers)
> f. have a rich set of desktop-like components
>
> Perhaps a web based app isn't the way to go.  Arguments for and
> against gratefully accepted.
>
> Pros and Cons for any frameworks gratefully accepted.
>
> Perhaps a framework isn't really what's needed here, but a combination
> of different web components and technologies?
>
> Anyway, I'm grateful for any ideas you may be able to give me.
>
> Thanks
> Ruben
>

 > a. highly secure

Can be accomplished with XMLRPC over HTTPS if you want web application or you
can use something simple like RDP to hosted application.

 > b. run on internet or intranet

Most applications that have a database backend can do this if written properly.

 > e. RDBMS read/write intensive

This might push me to something like RDP (or xWindows), but it depends on where
the data is coming from that causes the 'intense' writing and the nature of the
'intense' reading'.  You certainly don't want to be moving the data over the
Internet any more than is necessary.

 > d. be able to work on-line or off-line (with automatic updates to db
 > when coming back on-line)

This would require quite a lot of work and using some sort of DB
synchronization.  This item is the holy grail that many try to achive, but IMHO
few actually fully achieve it.

 > e. be able to print reports and labels using a variety of
 > printers(laser, deskjet, label printers)

Web applications are REALLY bad a printing.  They have no real ability to
interact with a printer like a client application does.  If I wanted to drive
label printers, I would use a client hosted application (but might get the data
from a remote server via XMLRPC, WEBDAV, etc).

 > f. have a rich set of desktop-like components

You can use components like Yahoo User Interface (YUI) or Google Web Toolkit.
(GWT) but they are nothing like the rich set of tools you get from wxWindows,
QT, etc. on a client application and development takes a LOT longer to get
correct.  The disconnected nature of the Web can make applications that are
trivial when written as client-server, quite difficult.

 From what you have given me, I would lean towards a hosted application with RDP
connection.  A lot more information would be required to make the final choice
of development architecture, languages, database, UI toolkits, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Larry Bates