The Importance of Terminology's Quality

George Neuner gneuner2/ at /comcast.net
Sat May 10 21:01:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, 09 May 2008 22:45:26 -0500, rpw3 at rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:

>George Neuner <gneuner2/@/comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 7 May 2008 16:13:36 -0700 (PDT), "xahlee at gmail.com"
>><xahlee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>• Functions [in Mathematica] that takes elements out of list
>>>are variously named First, Rest, Last, Extract, Part, Take,
>>>Select, Cases, DeleteCases... as opposed to “car”, “cdr”,
>>>“filter”, “filter”, “pop”, “shift”, “unshift”, in lisps and
>>>perl and other langs.
>
>>| Common Lisp doesn't have "filter".
>
>Of course it does! It just spells it REMOVE-IF-NOT!!  ;-}  ;-}

I know.  You snipped the text I replied to.

Xah carelessly conflated functions snatched from various languages in
an attempt to make some point about intuitive naming.  If he objects
to naming a function "filter", you can just imagine what he'd have to
say about remove-if[-not].

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address