Python is slow

Andrew Lee fiacre.patrick at gmail.com
Fri May 23 01:26:30 EDT 2008

cm_gui wrote:
> Python is slow.    Almost all of the web applications written in
> Python are slow.   Zope/Plone is slow, sloow, so very slooow.  Even
> Google Apps is not faster.   Neither is Youtube.
> Facebook and Wikipedia (Mediawiki), written in PHP, are so much faster
> than Python.
> Okay, they probably use caching or some code compilation -- but Google
> Apps and those Zope sites probably also use caching.
>
> I've yet to see a web application written in Python which is really
> fast.

So --- don't use Google

* shrug *

Personally I find PHP to be a hideous language -- it has only one use.
It is Perl for people who can be bothered to learn a general purpose
programming language and just write web applications.

Python is a general purpose programming language ... it does web nicely
(Django and pylons!), it supports real OOP and OOD, it's extensible, it
has a smart set of libraries, intelligent and coherent interfaces, it
sails across platforms, it has at least one great ORM (SQLAlchemy) and I
keep discovering new cool things about the language as a recent convert
that make me wonder why I would ever write another large application in
Perl or Java.

I find Zope to be a mess and it gives me a headache ... but it Zope is
an *application framework*, not a *programming language*.  So, I think
you are barking up the wrong straw man (if I may mix metaphors).

But that's just my $0.02.