Am I missing something with Python not having interfaces?

A.T.Hofkamp hat at se-162.se.wtb.tue.nl
Tue May 6 12:10:01 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-06, jmDesktop <needin4mation at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would imagine this is why I haven't found any schools teaching
> Python in their basic programming classes too.  On the dynamic typing,

I don't understand your reasoning. What part does 'this' refer to?
Also, you are wrong.
We teach 2nd year Bachelor students about programming (the process of solving a
problem by making a computer program, which is not the same as coding) with
Python.

> isn't that the same sort of thing that lots of scripting languages
> do?  VBScript doesn't require you to define your variables, but I
> don't really want to use it for anything (used to use it a lot in

VB was not designed well in that case.

I believe that VB is popular becomes it comes from the same firm that also
sells the OS and the word processor of all school computers. Also, many
teachers make a choice based on what others do or what they know,
rather than what the best possible prog language is for students.

Also, industry wants to have graduates that know the language they use.
It is very easy to give in to that desire, although it is not very useful,
since industry changes its programming language every so many years.

> Classic ASP.)  I believe everyone that Python is great, but some of it
> doesn't make sense to me as to why.  Thanks.

That's normal (and healthy, probably).

The thing that should really scare you however is your idea that everything
done in the Java/C# way does make sense (ie you are trying to push Python in
the 'yet another hammer' concept rather than treating it as a shiny newly
invented tool used by many others already).

Unlike what you think, all languages including Java and C# have their
weaknesses. However, you can only see weak points from outside the Java/C#
world (by knowing other languages that handle the same problems in a better
way).

(sorry if I offended you with the last bit, I did not intend to attack you
personally, just trying to provoke you enough to make you wonder about your
implicit assumptions.)

Sincerely,
Albert