Using Python for programming algorithms

brad byte8bits at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:37:19 EDT 2008

> Vicent Giner wrote:

> The usual answer is that development time is more important than running time.

This depends. Run time is not important until you are asked to scale to
millions or billions of users or computations or large data sets. I've
seen this first hand. Getting results back the same day or sooner may be
important. In cases such as this, I use C or C++... nothing else will
do. Nothing else is as fast. Although I always keep a py version around
for testing and for smaller tasks. Don't get me wrong, I love Python,
but there are times when nothing, but pure, hard speed will do.