Install Python MySQL db module?

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:18:34 EDT 2008

On May 14, 10:58 am, Rick Dooling <rpdool... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 13, 7:29 pm, Con <conra... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, how does properly install the Python MySQL db module for Mac OS
> > X?  I was only able to locate the Win32 modules.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > -Conrad
>
> I tried this a couple of weeks ago using macports and had problems.
>
> See, for example:
>
> http://www.davidcramer.net/code/57/mysqldb-on-leopard.html
>
> I read about several people who went in and edited the source files to
> work out the bugs on Leopard, but instead I just changed my Python
> code to use SQLite for the moment until someone fixes MySQLdb. There's
> a nice Perl script that will convert your MySQL db to an SQLite db if
> you're interested.
>
> RD

Because Python executable on Leopard has been stripped of 64 bit
architectures and thus runs as a 32 bit process, the 64 bit problems
only come up when trying to use the MySQLdb module under mod_wsgi or
mod_python with Apache (presuming you got mod_python to build as 64
bit).

If you are really stuck and can't get MySQLdb module to build as 64
bit capable, then you can force Apache to run as a 32 bit process and
avoid the problems.

For more details, see section 'Thinning The Apache Executable' of:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/InstallationOnMacOSX

Also see contributed comments to the page, which explains a way of
making Apache run as 32 bit by changing plist files rather than
thinning the Apache executable.

Graham