web client in Python Q

Jive Dadson notontheweb at noisp.com
Thu May 8 16:29:42 EDT 2008

Jerry Hill wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Jive Dadson <notontheweb at noisp.com> wrote:
>> I wonder why it does not work with
>>
>>  http://stockcharts.com/webcgi/wb.exe?Data.web+SLW
>
> It looks like that is a subscription site.  That makes things more
> complicated, because it means you'll need to figure out how to log in,
> then probably store cookies related to your session and offer them
> back up to the web server on subsequent requests.  Python has modules
> that help with these things (mostly in the urllib2 module if i recall
> correctly), but it's not quite as straightforward as just fetching a
> URL.
>
> I don't have time to dig up an example at the moment, but if you're
> still having trouble with it, I can try to pull something together
> this weekend.

Thanks for the help, Jerry.  I do subscribe to that service, but tapping
the data via Python may be more trouble than it's worth.  I can get all
the info for stocks and ETF's from finance.google.  All I am missing is
indexes.  I can probably live without those.  But if you want a
challenge, have at it.  It would be appreciated.

Jive