Python book question

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Fri May 16 11:52:14 EDT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:31:16 -0500
Matt Herzog <msh at blisses.org> wrote:
> Since Python is the only language that doesn't give me headaches I thought this book might be good. Has anyone read it or can anyone recommend the author? Can anyone recommend a better Data Structures and Algorithms book?
>
> The book: http://www.fbeedle.com/053-9.html

I'm not familiar with the book but I poked my head in and looked at the
first example:

def squareroot(n):
    root = n/2
    for k in range(20):
        root = (1.0/2)*(root + (n / root))

    return root

Looks fine and works but I wonder about the "root = n/2" line.  Since
the behaviour of this operation changes in 3.0, shouldn't it be
specific about whether it is doing int or float division?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves