Python and Flaming Thunder

Giampaolo Rodola' gnewsg at gmail.com
Wed May 21 23:35:53 EDT 2008

On 21 Mag, 17:34, Dave Parker <davepar... at flamingthunder.com> wrote:

> [...] symbols are more confusing for people to learn about than
> words.  There are lots of people who are fluent in English, but
> dislike math.
>
> So, I opted for a simple, unambiguous, non-mathematical way of
> expressing "assignment" which makes sense even to the non-
> mathematically inclined:
>
>      Set x to 8.

Sorry but... are you really trying to tell us that a person which is
not able to understand "x = 5" should use a programming language?
Such a person shouldn't even use a computer and I strongly doubt that
your syntax solution would make ring a bell in his head!
Besides that what makes you think that:

Set n to 1
Factorial is a function(n) doing
   if n = 0 then return 1 else return n*factorial(n-1).

...is more clear/intuitive than:

n = 1
def factorial(n):
    "this is a function doing:"
    return 1 if n == 0 else n * factorial(n-1)

...?
IMHO, it seems to me that you've just tried to mix "comments" and
"code" into a single thing for no other reason than to be different.
I'd be curious to see some code samples solving some - real world -
problems instead of showing hot to calculate factorials, printing
hello worlds or read from a file, which are the only code samples I've
seen in the homepage and in the documentation.

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib