Minimal Python installation?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed May 21 07:30:14 EDT 2008

On 21 Mai, 12:07, Thomas Troeger <thomas.troeger.... at siemens.com>
wrote:

> I'd like to put the python library and interpreter on a small embedded
> Linux x86 compatible device where disk space is an issue. I played
> around with the minimal Python interpreters, but was not entirely happy
> with them, so my question is, is there an (preferably easy) way to put
> the interpreter and a cut-down version of the python library/modules
> that ship with regular Python into a new archive that I can safely copy
> and use?

Perhaps there are some projects on the following pages which may help
in some way:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/EmbeddedPython
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Tiny_Python

[...]

> Let's say I want a complete Python install, but without all the batteries :-)

I think there's an overlap between "installer" tools and some of the
projects mentioned on the above pages, especially where retaining only
the critical libraries in the resulting distribution is concerned.

Paul