Is there no single/uniform RDBMS access API module for Python ?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue May 13 06:52:32 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-12 07:43, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Again a noob question.
>
> Based on this URL http://wiki.python.org/moin/DatabaseInterfaces , is it
> correct to conclude that there is no RDBMS agnostic, single/uniform DB
> access API for Python ?
> Something in the lines of JDBC for Java, DBD for Perl etc. ?
>
> How is the RDBMS change handled for solutions which need to work with
> different RDBMSs ??

Most Python database modules adhere to the Python Database API specification
(DB-API). The current version 2 is available in the PEP format as:

     http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/

The spec was created and is maintained by the Python DB-SIG:

     http://www.python.org/community/sigs/

If you are looking for a generic Python database interface, then I'd
suggest you have a look at our mxODBC:

     http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

It works on all common Python platforms (e.g. Windows, Linux x86/x64,
Macs, Solaris, etc.) and provides the same API on these, so apart from
changing the ODBC driver configuration, you don't need to make any
major changes to your application if you want to switch from one
platform to another.

Note: mxODBC is a commercial add-on to our eGenix mx Base OSS
distribution. It's maintained by eGenix and has been around
since 1997.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 13 2008)