Python and Flaming Thunder

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Wed May 28 17:58:54 EDT 2008

On May 28, 5:19 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:

> > Kind of like how this year's program won't work on next year's
> > Python?
>
> For somebody who has admitted to have only very rudimentary knowledge of
> python that's a pretty bold statement, don't you think?
>
> >  Except Flaming Thunder is faster. ;)
>
> Faster in execution speed for a very limited domain of problems - maybe.
>
> But unless it grows support for structured data types, arrays and maybe
> even an object system - it's nothing but a toy language.

I wouldn't even call it a toy language, it seems more like a sandbox
for fumbling around in compiler technology and language
"design" (loosely speaking). Fun as a research or alpha-stage project
but nowhere near production-ready.

To be fair, the graphics look cool and the "single-asset 8-by-8
shotgun cross compiler, written entirely in assembly language" sounds
impressive from an implementation point of view, in the sense that
building Deep Blue with nothing but NAND gates would; utterly
impressive and pointless at the same time. Which goes to prove that
hardcore hackers don't necessarily make decent language designers.

George