Python and Flaming Thunder

Dave Parker daveparker at flamingthunder.com
Wed May 21 15:53:22 EDT 2008

On May 21, 1:29 pm, "Dan Upton" <up... at virginia.edu> wrote:

> ... --somewhat akin to the
> guy who a month or so ago wanted to sneakily teach his high school
> class programming fundamentals by teaching them game programming.

Yep, that's kind of my plan, too.  After I get enough "computer
languagey" stuff running, I'm going to incorporate the 3D graphics
from DPGraph.

> Maybe this should be your selling point, and maybe you should be
> drawing comparisons to programming in Matlab or Mathematica.

That sounds like a good idea.

Personally, the first thing I wanted to get running in Flaming Thunder
was the ability to cross-compile CGI scripts for Linux under Windows,
because some inexpensive web-hosting sites (such as GoDaddy) don't
allow shell access, so I couldn't compile the CGI scripts natively.
Also, the ability to cross-compile programs for the Mac since Macs
often appear in educational settings.

Now that those are up and running and Flaming Thunder is released to
the public, I'm adding features as prioritized by customer requests.
Currently, the highest big things on the list are arrays/matrices and
3D graphics.  Next on the list is improved symbolics.