Code/test ratio wrt static vs dynamic typing

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue May 20 23:34:15 EDT 2008

greg <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> Also, I don't think it's valid to equate the size of the tests with
> the amount of effort it took to develop them. For instance, the test
> suite for Pyrex is currently larger than the Pyrex compiler, but
> I've still spent far more time and effort developing the compiler
> than writing the tests.

Right. The unit test suite should tend to increase: add tests far more
often than removing them. The application code, though, should tend to
grow less rapidly: refactor duplication, remove redundant code, and
add new code.

This should tend to result in the unit test suite growing over time
faster than the application code does, even if roughly the same effort
goes into both. Thus the size of each is not a good indicator of the
amount of effort.

--
 \           "I got a postcard from my best friend, it was a satellite |
  `\      picture of the entire Earth. On the back he wrote, 'Wish you |