#!/usr/bin/env python vs. #!/usr/bin/python

Michael Mabin d3vvnull at gmail.com
Sat May 3 12:30:54 EDT 2008

I work on an AIX system where /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin apps can only be
installed by root. Our system doesn't have python or many other tools we
like to use installed so we have to install python in an alternate directory
location. We have a system installation of Perl installed, but it's a
release or two older than what we need, so we have done the same for perl.
Thus, #!/usr/bin/env whatever allows our developers to experiment without
always requiring the services of the admins, who are spread too thinly
amongst all the other *Nixes they have to support, and who are also
separated by many layers of red tape from us.

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Lou Pecora <pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil>
wrote:

> In article <A72dnRnGiotPr4bVnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d at visi>,
>  Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2008-05-02, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
> > > On Sat, 03 May 2008 00:44:00 +1000
> > > Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au<bignose%2Bhates-spam at benfinney.id.au>>

> > > You haven't *said* it but you have definitely *implied* it.
> > > Installing Python in /usr/bin is not common.
> >
> > It is common.  That's where it's installed by almost all Linux
> > distributions.
>
> MacOS X system python (or links to them) is in the same place.
>
> --
> -- Lou Pecora
> --