php vs python

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri May 30 16:46:52 EDT 2008

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

 > As I've said before - good programmers can write good code in any
 > language.

So... an eloquent speaker of English is also an eloquent speaker of
Spanish/French/German?

I think your statement would be correct if worded: some programmers can
write good code in any language.  There's a reason why computer coding
paradigms are called 'languages' -- because they are, and as such they
require different ways of thinking.  Just because someone is good at
playing pianos doesn't mean they are also good at wood carving.  Just
because someone is good (i.e. writes good code) in C / PHP / Python /
Perl / Assembly / whatever does not inherently mean that that same
person will be able to write good code in any other language.  That's
one reason why there are so many to choose from: different people think
differently and most are only optimal in certain areas.

Or perhaps your definition of a good programmer means somebody who can
write good code in any language?  What then is a programmer who can only
write good code in a handful of languages?  Or maybe only two languages?
   Or even only one?

My definition of a good programmer is someone who can write good code in
a computer language.  I would use the word 'versatile' or even
'multi-lingual' to broaden the scope to more than one language.
--
Ethan

P.S.
My apologies, Jerry, for writing back to you directly -- I haven't yet
discovered how to post to newsgroups, and I do not know the php mailing
list address.  I guess by both our definitions I am not a 'good
newsgroup poster.'  ;-)