Struct usages in Python

Alok Kumar alokkat at gmail.com
Wed May 28 09:31:22 EDT 2008

I am getting following error when tried as you suggested.

self.event = []  #Create an empty list, bind to the name "event" under the
"self" namespace
           self.event.append(Event())   #Create an event object and append
to the end of the list

*class Event():
                ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax*

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Patrick Mullen <saluk64007 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't know if this will go through (my posts seem to have become blocked
> lately), but I'll give it a shot anyhow.
>
> You seem to be under a misconception that a python list is similar to a
> list in say, Java or other languages that have a rigid idea of variables and
> types.  In python, a list is a list of objects - any type of object can be
> stored in a list.  Just as you don't declare types for variables, you also
> don't declare types for lists.  Here is your modified code:
>
> class Event():
>    def __init__(self, cameraEventType="", zone=99, setDay="",setTime ="",
> clrTime=""):
>      self.cameraEventType = cameraEventType
>      self.zone = zone
>      self.setDay = setDay
>      self.setTime = setTime
>      self.clrTime = clrTime
>
> class EventTimeFilter:
>    def __init__(self):
>            self.event = []  #Create an empty list, bind to the name "event"
> under the "self" namespace
>            self.event.append(Event())   #Create an event object and append
> to the end of the list
>

> Python won't stop you from putting other objects into self.event besides
> Event objects, but in practice this isn't often an issue.  The real benefit,
> is if you subclass event or make some other type of object that is similar
> to events, with maybe some of the same fields, you can still store them in
> the list and it will play along with the rest of your code.
>
> --

Regards
Alok Kumar