Using Python for programming algorithms

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com
Mon May 19 16:42:16 EDT 2008

On 19 mai, 20:07, Vicent Giner <vgi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 19, 6:11 pm, Henrique Dante de Almeida <hda... at gmail.com>
> wrote:

(snip)
> >  The situation would be simpler if there were good well-known toolkits
> > for optimization in python (like numpy for matrix operations), but
> > that's not the case.
>
> Are there such toolkits in other languages? I am not sure they exist
> in C, for example.

Well... They do - they are called 'C compilers' !-) As Roel Schroven
mentioned - and he is at least partially right on this point - C has
been designed to make optimizing C compiler not to hairy to write.

> By the way, is it possible (and easy) to call a C function from a
> Python program??

Possible, yes, indeed. Easy depends on your definition of easiness,
but  going down to C for computation-heavy performance-critical parts
of a program or library is not that uncommon.