POP connection timeout.

Aspersieman aspersieman at gmail.com
Thu May 8 08:24:37 EDT 2008

Hi All

I have written an application that queries a POP mailbox and
downloads messages. When the application tries to connect to the mail
server, but takes too long (eg. longer than 60 seconds) I want to have
it time out.

Something like

try:
   pop = poplib.POP3(POPHOST, POPPORT)
except someerror, err:
   print "Connecting to mail box has timed out:\n", err

I know that in python 2.5 I could pass an additional timeout parameter
to the above statement ( ie: pop = poplib.POP3(POPHOST, POPPORT,
TIMEOUTINSECONDS), but I am using python 2.4.

Can anyone help me implement this timeout functionality.

Regards

Nicol
--

The three things to remember about Llamas:
1) They are harmless