TPCServer and xdrlib

Henrique Dante de Almeida hdante at gmail.com
Fri May 16 10:25:15 EDT 2008

On May 16, 9:26 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> >  Did you consider gzipping your XML (or YAML) packets ? Would the
> > transfer time be acceptable in this case ?
>
> That would add even more to the overhead of transcoding the
> transportlayer. Switching from XMLRPC to a json-based protocol reduced

 Yes, that's why I suggested YAML.

> in a project of mine reduced the overhead 10-20fold - mainly because of
> reduced size and parsing efforts.

 I don't think so. It probably just the reduced size (check if the
json file is around 10 times smaller).

 I believe the server will be mostly I/O-bound, ie, most overhead will
be in the data link/physical layers. The compression/parsing time (a
few microseconds) should be a small fraction of the total transfer
time (a few milliseconds). Even if the service is not I/O bound,
(considering the Youtube example) if there's significant traffic in
the server, the database access time should be the most significant.

 I have used compression for SOAP messages in a GPRS (~20kbps) link
and got similar performance improvements (the web server was set to
automatically compress the data).