list object

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat May 10 14:56:41 EDT 2008

"member thudfoo" <thudfoo at opensuse.us> wrote in message
news:3d881a310805101047s1cc9c803wb87805e8044b514c at mail.gmail.com...
| On 5/10/08, Gandalf <goldnery at gmail.com> wrote:
| > my manual contain chapter about lists with python. when i try to copy
| >  paste :
| >
| >  li = ["a", "b", "mpilgrim", "z", "example"] (1)
| >

| >  it i get this errore:
| >
| >  "TypeError: 'list' object is not callable"

| Remove the "(1)"

The '(1)' was almost certainly an 'equation number' or 'line label' added
so the author could refer it in the text, like 'type line (1) into the
interpreter and... .  This is a standard mathematical idiom, but sometimes
confusing when there is not enough space between the equation and the
label, and especially when the equation label *could* be part of the
equation, as with Python.