list object

Larry Hale larzluv at hotmail.com
Sun May 11 21:51:28 EDT 2008

On May 10, 12:39 pm, Gandalf <goldn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> my manual contain chapter about lists with python. when i try to copy
> paste :
>
> li = ["a", "b", "mpilgrim", "z", "example"] (1)
>
> it i get this errore:
>
> "TypeError: 'list' object is not callable"
>
> i was wondering if their is  any special module I should import before
> i use this function
>
> i know i ask foolish questions it's my first day with python and i
> have experience only with PHP and javascript, so please be patient
>
> thanks

To expand upon what others have already mentioned, and/or to explain
what's going on...

    li ==>> a label for a "list" (presume the author used it as short-
hand?); trying to set it to point-to/"equal"...

    ["a", "b", "mpilgrim", "z", "example"] ==>> THE LIST

        A "list" is a mutable (changeable in-place) container object.
See e.g.: http://www.diveintopython.org/native_data_types/lists.html

    (1) ==>> the Python interpreter will interpret this as if you're
attempting to "call" the list object (["a", "b", ...]) as if it were a
function/method

Indeed, the "(1)" is what's causing the problem, but it's -because-
the list *object* is, well, "not callable".  :)

As an aside, see what "li" contains if you do:

    li = ["a", "b", "mpilgrim", "z", "example"][1]

;)

Cheers!
-Larry Hale