Best technology for agent/web server architecture

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu May 8 12:13:01 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-08 16:16, Florencio Cano wrote:
> Hi,
> I would be interested in your opinion about what technology you
> considear the ideal technology for implementing in Python an agent
> that should comunicate information to a web server. I have read about
> SOAP but I'm now sure if this will be the right one.
> The aim of the agent is gather inventory information and the web
> application (I'm programming it in Django) will receive this
> information and will store it in the database and will show it in
> tables.

The choice of protocol depends a lot on what you want to transfer.

SOAP would be a good choice if you want to send to data to other
servers as well, e.g. Java-based ones.

XML-RPC and JSON are better for simple data structures.

If you have control over both client and server and don't
need to bother with other backends or frontends, Python
pickle is the best choice.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 08 2008)