Fill memeory with endless loop?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed May 14 09:51:31 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-14, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:
> globalrev <skanemupp at yahoo.se> wrote:
>
>>and when the program gets killed because out of memory all this
>>will be deleted from the memory?
>
> Yes.  When a process is killed, all of the memory it was using
> is released.
>
>>so there is no way that you can, by accident, fill your whole
>>harddrive and make it unusable?
>
> Of course not.  Where do you see a connection between memory
> and your hard drive?
>
> Now, you can certainly fill your hard drive by running your
> little infinite loop application and storing the results in a
> file:

Again, that's only a problem if the OS lets it be problem.  No
real OS will let a drive become unusable because of a runaway
user program.  Any decent filesystem can provide per-user disk
quotas and a "reserve" of space for system/root use.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I just had a NOSE
                                  at               JOB!!