dropping win98 support? was Re: Python 2.6 and wrapping C libraries on Windows

illume renesd at gmail.com
Fri May 2 05:47:26 EDT 2008

On May 2, 8:37 am, "Terry Reedy" <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> "illume" <ren... at gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:372ae26a-d772-4182-aa4b-64330626d60f at l25g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
> | Ah, why is that?
>
> Were any of the reasons given inhttp://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/
> unclear?
> It appears you are already aware of MS's non-support of Win98

Hello,

It seems the main reason is for ease of maintenance.  However the Pep
title is misleading with regards to win9x+winMe+win2k - which is where
my confusion, questions and argument came from.
"Title: 	Removing support for little used platforms"

There are still *lots* of people who still use win95, 98, 98se, me,
and win2k - as shown by the statistics I linked to in a previous
post.  If you want more statistics about the number of people using
what OS they are fairly easy to find with a search engine.  One day
win9x will be finally dead, but that's not yet(and the w3c stats show
it's usage actually increasing in march!).

It is probably way too late in the process to put back code - and as
you say no python developers have volunteered.  So I won't argue any
more for it to come back.

We'll just have to recommend a different python implementation than
2.6 or 3.0 for people who want to support people with these old
computers.

cheers,