Python 2.5.2 on Ubuntu Hardy Utf-8-Euro error

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri May 30 11:41:57 EDT 2008

Josep wrote:

> I'm playing with an application framework (or kinda) that's developed
> with python, and it throws this error:
>

>> File
>> "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Dabo-0.8.3-py2.5.egg/dabo/db/dCursorMixin.py",
>> line 281, in execute
>>     sql = unicode(sql, self.Encoding)
>> LookupError: unknown encoding: utf_8_euro
>
> At the application (DABO) mailing list, they have pointed that this has
> to be a Python issue. As I'm a totally python newbie, I would ask if
> somebody has experimented this kind of error, and if there is any known
> solution. I've found no clue searching at Google right now.
>
> My Python version is 2.5.2, Ubuntu Hardy .deb package.

Python might get confused by an @EURO suffix in the locale:

$ LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 at EURO
$ python -c"import locale; print locale.getdefaultlocale()"
('de_DE', 'utf_8_euro')

Try setting the LANG environment variable to something like

$ LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
$ python -c"import locale; print locale.getdefaultlocale()"
('de_DE', 'UTF8')

before you run your program (use ca_ES or whatever you need instead of
de_DE).

Peter