When was feature FOO added to Python? (was: decorators when?)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 27 23:30:51 EDT 2008

"Ben Finney" <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote in message
news:87zlqbs60b.fsf at benfinney.id.au...
| David C. Ullrich <dullrich at sprynet.com> writes:
|
| > What version added decorators (using the @decorator syntax)?
| >
| > (Is there a general way I could have found out the answer myself?)
|
| For standard library features, the documentation for a module
| <URL:http://www.python.org/doc/lib/> usually says "(New in 2.4)" or
| "(Changed in 2.4)" or the like for features that appeared in a
| particular version. I think this is manually done by the
| documentation maintainers, though.
|
| For features of the language (like decorators), the language reference
| <URL:http://www.python.org/doc/ref/> is the place that *describes* the
| features; but I don't see any similar "(New in 2.4)" annotations, so
| e.g. <URL:http://www.python.org/doc/ref/function.html> doesn't mention
| when the decorator syntax appeared in the language.
|
| Any documentation maintainers reading: Please consider updating the
| documents to give this useful "(New in 2.x)" or "(Changed in 2.x)"
| annotation for just such a situation.
|
| You can get closer to the answer by browsing the "What's New in
| Python" <URL:http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/whatsnew/> documents by
| version.

Missing 'New' or 'Changed' annotations might be considered doc bugs.
Certainly there should be one for decorators.  Anyone who wants such
omissions fixed should file a report on bugs.python.org listing the
*specific* annotations you think should be added and where.  Cite which
documents you used as sources so they can be checked.  This is something
that a new volunteer could do, since it does not need the special skill of
older volunteers.

Note 1: probably best to check against 2.6 docs, as I am not sure that
fixes will go back 2.5.

Note 2: the 3.0 docs start with a 'clean slate'.  All such annotations are
or should be wiped.  But changes in 3.1 will be annotated as usual.

TJR