Performance of Python builtins

miller.paul.w at gmail.com miller.paul.w at gmail.com
Sun May 25 22:29:18 EDT 2008

On May 25, 9:43 pm, "Terry Reedy" <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> <miller.pau... at gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:d7549dfd-6770-4924-8f0c-1746642bd8a4 at k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> | Is there any place outside the actual C source for Python that has
> | information about the performance of Python's built-in operations?
>
> Unfortunately no.  Guido does not want to put guarantees in the language
> definition, so there is no urgency to document this.  An auxiliary doc
> might be accepted.  But the people who could write such a thing are busy
> doing otherwise.  Certainly, no one has volunteered to write *and update*
> such.

I see.  Just to be clear, though, I wasn't looking for "guarantees" as
such, like (I believe) the STL sometimes provides.  I was just looking
for some idea of what current implementations' performance
characteristics are.

I suppose I could probably create such a resource.  Keeping it updated
would be another thing entirely, since I don't really want to monitor
every single commit to Python's svn repository.  Hypothetically, if
someone made such a document, do you think it could be arranged for
that person to be notified whenever CPython's implementation changes
to invalidate it?