The Importance of Terminology's Quality

Peter Duniho NpOeStPeAdM at nnowslpianmk.com
Sat May 31 03:36:27 EDT 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:40:03 -0700, szr <szrRE at szromanMO.comVE> wrote:

> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> Stephan Bour wrote:
>>> Lew wrote:
>>> } John Thingstad wrote:
>>> } > Perl is solidly based in the UNIX world on awk, sed, bash and C.
>>> } > I don't like the style, but many do.
>>> }
>>> } Please exclude the Java newsgroups from this discussion.
>>>
>>> Did it ever occur to you that you don't speak for entire news groups?
>>
>> Did it occur to you that there are nothing about Java in the above ?
>
> Looking at the original post, it doesn't appear to be about any specific
> language.

Indeed.  That suggests it's probably off-topic in most, if not all, of the
newsgroups to which it was posted, inasmuch as they exist for topics
specific to a given programming language.

Regardless, unless you are actually reading this thread from the c.l.j.p
newsgroup, I'm not sure I see the point in questioning someone who _is_
about whether the thread belongs there or not.  Someone who is actually
following the thread from c.l.j.p can speak up if they feel that Lew is
overstepping his bounds.  Anyone else has even less justification for
"speaking for the entire newsgroup" than Lew does, and yet that's what
you're doing when you question his request.

And if it's a vote you want, mark me down as the third person reading
c.l.j.p that doesn't feel this thread belongs.  I don't know whether Lew
speaks for the entire newsgroup, but based on comments so far, it's pretty
clear that there unanimous agreement among those who have expressed an
opinion.

If you all in the other newsgroups are happy having the thread there,
that's great.  Please feel free to continue with your discussion.  But
please, drop comp.lang.java.programmer from the cross-posting.

Pete