Now what!?

notbob notbob at nothome.com
Sat May 10 12:19:19 EDT 2008

Grrr....

I'm following A Byte of Python and into the while loops chap.  I cp/paste
while.py to a file and give 777 perms.  I mv while.py to while and run it (./while)
as a standalone script.  I get errors.

Here is the script:

while.py

http://www.ibiblio.org/swaroopch/byteofpython/read/while-statement.html

When I run it as.....

$ python while

.....it works perfect.  But, if I run it simply as.....

$ ./while

.....I get this:

$ ./while
number: illegal number: =
./while: line 6: running: command not found
./while: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token ('
./while: line 9:         guess = int(raw_input('Enter an integer : '))'

Why does it work one way and not the other.  If I run the simple hello world
script the same way ($ ./helloworld) and it works fine.  Same shebang, same
dir, same permission, etc.  I even meticulously indented everything
perfectly by hand.  What am I missing?

BTW, anyone know a better cli news client/editor combo than slrn/jed (don't
even think vi!)?  When I cp/past code (or most anything else) to jed, all
the lines become stair-stepped.  This is no biggie for a most stuff, but for
idented code, it's unacceptable.

nb