Problem creating a shorcut

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu May 15 11:13:56 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've had this niggling issue from time to time. I want to create a
shortcut on the user's desktop to a website that specifically loads
Firefox even if Firefox is not the default browser.

I usually use COM as it allows very specific settings of the shortcut,
such as the Working Directory and the Target Path. However, the
following will not work for some reason:

<code>

import win32com.client
import winshell

shell = win32com.client.Dispatch('WScript.Shell')
userDesktop = winshell.desktop()

shortcut = shell.CreateShortCut(userDesktop + '\\MyShortcut.lnk')
shortcut.Targetpath = r'"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
https:\www.myCompanyWebsite.com\auth\preauth.php'
shortcut.WorkingDirectory = r'C:\Program Files\Mozilla
Firefox'
shortcut.save()

</code>

This creates the following target path (which doesn't work):

"C:\"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" https:
\www.myCompanyWebsite.com\auth\preauth.php"

If I leave the website off, it works. If I leave the path to Firefox
out, it works too. Is there another method I can use other than
creating the shortcut by hand and using the shutil module?

Thank you for any ideas.

Mike