File Creation Not Working In A Thread Class?

bc90021 python at bc90021.net
Sun May 11 16:11:28 EDT 2008

[CUT]
> I have in no way assumed that you are stupid.  I have tried to help you
> formulate your problem better so that people on the list can help you.
> I believe I have done so respectfully, with the aim of introducing you
> to the modus operandi of this group.

I appreciate your help.  However, the comments I got from other people
that "I'm sure you have quotes here..." type comments are incredibly
insulting.  To tell someone that you're sure that they have quotes around
something when they don't is the height of arrogance and rudeness.

>> (I really must say that so far the help I am getting in the Python
>> community is a big let down.  Whether it's on IRC or here, everyone has
>> an arrogance that I don't find anywhere else in the open source
>> community, and it seriously makes me question the choice of language
>> that I've made.)
>
> Don't judge too quickly.  I think this newsgroup is on the whole
> extremely helpful.  I have learnt a lot from it.  But you have to get
> used to its ways, and until you are familiar with them, approach it with
> humility.

Unfortunately, this is not my first interaction with the Python IRC
communities or Python newsgroups.  I had tried working with this language
a while back (around 2000) and the answers I got were unhelpful and
usually rude.  I decided to give it another shot for the program I'm
writing, and I'm regretting that.  It's possible that I'm to blame - I'm
the common factor in both instances, but at the same time, when you ask a
question in #python and NO ONE ANSWERS at all, and they all just sit
there not talking at all, what's the point of having the IRC channel?  If
newbies can't go there for help, what's the point?  When there are 70
people in a channel, and no one even acknowledges your question has been
asked, where does one go for help?  It's like talking to yourself.

>> The error message was at the top of the thread (am I incapable of
>> posting it, or are you incapable of following a thread?), but here it
>> is again:
>>
>> IOError: [Errno 2] no such file u'tempfileName'
>
> This is different from the error message that you posted in your

It is not "different" except that I posted the full name the second
time.  (tempfileName instead of the previously simplified fileName)  The
code itself is actually irrelevant, in my humble opinion.  In one place a
file creation line does not work; in the second place it does.  How can
the same line of code do two different things in two places?  Either it
creates a file or it doesn't.  It should create the file in either place,
regardless of where it's being called.

Either way, I figured it out.