Learning Python for no reason

JustMe alastair.graham at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:50:04 EDT 2008

On 12 May, 20:02, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:
> On May 12, 12:27 pm, "John Salerno" <johnj... at NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just something that crosses my mind every time I delve into "Learning
> > Python" each night. Does anyone see any value in learning Python when you
> > don't need to for school, work, or any other reason?

I'm in the same boat. My work seems fixated with .Net but IMHO I think
they would be better off going with Python. Still, who am I to stand
in the way of hundreds of .Net programmers.

However, learning Python in the evening for the hell of it has led me
to investigate Linux, which in turn has made me find out reams more
stuff about computing than I knew before. So I've learnt a new
programming language (albeit at a fairly basic level), installed a new
OS and started looking into setting up home servers. None of it is
spectacular, but it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't just thought
"What the hell, I'll just learn it anyway"