framework build question for mac

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Thu May 8 08:09:40 EDT 2008

Hello,

I just had to install an older version of python for a particular
app.  Afterward, I had some necessary clean-up so that my normal work
python would work, but I noticed something odd about the
installation.  Python is installed on the Mac in the directory

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions

where there is (now) a 2.5 and a 2.4 directory, and a link called
Current which points to the 2.5 directory.  So far, so good.  Now,
the python binary (as well as idle, and some other python related
binaries) are in /usr/local/bin and are links:

python@ -> ../../../Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/
bin/python
pydoc@ -> ../../../Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/
bin/pydoc
python2.4@ -> ../../../Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
2.4/bin/python2.4
etc...

Now, what I find odd is that the generic binaries (python, pydoc,
etc...) as opposed to the version-specific binaries (python2.4,
python2.5, etc...) do not point to the Current link in the /Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/ directory, but instead point to
the last python installed.  As a result, in addition to re-pointing
the Current link, I also had to manually re-point python, pydoc,
idle, etc... in /usr/local/bin

Is there a reason for this, or is it just a small oversight on the
install script?

			thanks,

				Brian Blais

--