Idea for P3K

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com
Wed May 7 17:03:37 EDT 2008

On 7 mai, 21:41, Gary Herron <gher... at islandtraining.com> wrote:
> Méta-MCI (MVP) wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> >> I don't often feel like using this word
>
> > Look at languages like OCAML or F #
>
> > @-salutations
>
> Well of course, we're all well aware of other languages that allow
> variables to be bound in the middle of an expression.  It's just that
> Python was purposely created without that (mis)feature because it's so
> unclear, and easy to abuse.

This is the same argument that has been used to justify the lack of MI
and operator overloading in Java.

Not that I would support having assignment as expressions in Python
(wouldn't fit the whole design IMHO), but this is still a somewhat
arbitrary design choice, not necessarily a GoodThing(tm) by itself -
well designed expression-based languages have their strength too.