Is anyone using Python for embedded applications?

Lori Welte loriw at novoengineering.com
Thu May 1 17:28:24 EDT 2008

Hi Dean

I need a minimalist version of Python to run on a ColdFire-based
embedded system (written in C with no RTOS). It will be used by
mechanical engineers to test their servo and stepper motors. I need all
the basic features you are providing in PyMite.

I've managed to port PyMite and run a test "trivial" on my embedded
platform, but I am a bit confused about whether this is really what I
need.

I need an interactive Python interpreter running on my embedded...I will
be feeding it lines through my USB connection. It seems that PyMite is
not exactly what I'm looking for (?). I expected to be able to do
something like pm_run("abs(-1)") for example, but that doesn't work.
After reading carefully your docs, it seems like in fact that PyMite
should be used by writing Python programs on a PC, running your
PyImageCreator, then rebuilding the embedded with the native C code, and
downloading the image file to the embedded? Although this is pretty
nifty, this won't work for my needs.

Could you confirm that PyMite does not run like pm_run() =
PyRun_SimpleString() or if it does, what am I missing?

Thanks so much for all your excellent software

Lori Welte

"firmwaregirl"