Dbase / foxpro files

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu May 15 11:21:24 EDT 2008

Johny wrote:
> Is there a module for reading/modifing db files from Python?
> Thanks for help
> B.

I have a module -- which I'm going to get around to releasing one of
these days :-) -- which allows to read dBase III, dBase IV and Foxpro
files (sequentially only, not randomly) and to write dBaseIII files
sequentially. Index files if any are ignored.

Field types supported for reading:
C character
D date
F float
I integer (32 bits)
L logical
M memo (stored in a .DBT (dBase) or .FPT (FoxPro) file)
N number
T time

Writing supports only dBaseIII with C, D, L and N fields, but could be
extended easily enough (I've never had the need). No index files are
written.

E-mail me if you are interested.

Cheers,
John