STL multimap

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Mon May 5 14:26:46 EDT 2008

Hi there.  Maybe a little more context would
help us figure out what you want here...

On May 5, 1:28 pm, castiro... at gmail.com wrote:
> Is multimap just a syntax-checked dictionary of mutable sequences?

I think the equivalent of a multimap can be
implemented several different ways, depending on
what you need:

  for
       1 maps to 2,3
       5 maps to 7
  - dictionary mapping to lists
       { 1:[2,3], 5:[7] } # supports unhashable values
  - dictionary mapping to dictionary
       { 1:{2:None,3:None}, 4:{7:None} } # faster for certain lookups
and dense data
  - dictionary with tuple/pairs as keys
       { (1,2):None, (1,3):None, (4,7):None } # streamlined for
existence testing

If you search usenet (google groups) for multimap
you will find some nice discussions by Alex Martelli and others.

> Is def( a ): a[:]= [x] a trick or part of the language?  It looks
> pretty sharp in variable-width.

You lost me here.

python 2.6:
  File "<stdin>", line 1