python, dlls, and multiple instances

Patrick Stinson patrickstinson.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:14:57 EDT 2008

Is it a correct to assume that you can use multiple instances of
python altogether if each is loaded from a separate dll? For instance,
if I write a couple of dll/so libs, and each has python statically
linked in, is it safe to assume that since dlls use their own address
space then each dll would have it's own GIL, and will therefore
coexist safely within the same app? This is correct across all
platforms, yes?

I ask because I will be writing an audio plugin that uses python both
for the gui and the audio thread. The audio thread must not be
blocked, and will also be set up as a restricted execution environment
to prevent the usual dangerous calls to open, socket, etc. The python
running in the application thread may be blocked and may do whatever
it wants.

I think my understanding is correct since our current dll
implementation statically links python, and I know that the host app
(Ableton Live) also uses python for it's scripting engine. This should
be fun, since I've wanted to write a recipe for using python in an
audio plugin GUIs for a while now.

Cheers!