FW: php vs python

Phil Runciman philr at aspexconsulting.co.nz
Wed May 28 16:47:08 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Stuckle [mailto:jstucklex at attglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, 28 May 2008 1:48 p.m.
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: php vs python

Ivan Illarionov wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 05:10:20 +0400, AnrDaemon wrote:
>
>> Greetings, Ivan Illarionov.

>>> Yes, they can. But it may be harder to do for them in one language
and
>>> easier in another.
>> It's obvious lie. If you have clear mind and you know language you're
>> using, there are absolutely NOTHING can deny you to write clear code.
>> Even using forth postfix notation, I have no problem writing good
code,
>> it's as easy as writing bad code. And yes, I do see the difference.
>
> No. Language does matter.

Yes it does matter.

I have programmed in many assembly and higher level languages.

In OldenTimes:
In Algol 60 I was productive from the start.
KDF9 Usercode (Assembly) was brilliant. (A bigger HW stack would have
made it even better).
IBM 360 Assembly was poorer but not a disaster.
PL1 was a mess. You could write good code but why bother?
COBOL was fit for purpose and when combined with Jackson structured
programming could be used straight away by rooky programmers in business
systems programming. I am sure it has progressed since ANSI 68.

The Inuit have 13 terms for snow. Microsoft advocate DSLs. Why have DSLs
if language does not matter?

My 2c worth.