License selection for free software

Paul Rubin http
Wed May 7 03:51:51 EDT 2008

Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> writes:
> Nonsense.  They could be more than willing to contribute their
> patches, but aren't willing to accept the GPL's limitation to being
> used only in open source packages.

Oh, I see what you mean--I'm considering any derived work to be a
patch, which is maybe an overbroad use of that term.  If they are
willing to contribute their patches in that sense, the GPL shouldn't
be a problem.  If they want to just send back small scraps of
improvement while incorporating the GPL'd program into a closed
program, the GPL is doing its job if it prevents that.